Monday, January 24, 2011

The Rainbow Cookie Cake...

I love rainbow cookies, and my friend JT loves them as well. They are more easily found in the NYC area of New York. I was extremely disappointed to discover they were nearly impossible to find in the Buffalo area. You could easily find a dozen at the nearest Stop and Shop on Long Island, but you'll never spot them in the Wegmans or Tops up here in Western NY. I was very upset and told my Western NY friends of this deliciously almondy, moist cake-like cookies that did not exist in this area.

When I met a friend who loved them as much as I did, we made it our goal to find these cookies. JT was the one to finally find them in a small bakery about 20 minutes from where I live. We were in rainbow cookie heaven.

I read several cooking blogs, and came across a recipe for Rainbow Cookie cake (Always Order Dessert). At the time of discovery, I was unable to make it cause I lacked the right tools and recipes: 3 9" cake pans, a box grater, and the key ingredient almond paste. Lucky for me, I got the pans for Christmas, I bought the box grater for $4, and JT found a bakery near his job that sells almond paste by the pound. We set a date and made the cake.

Though I looked confident as I gathered all the ingredients and assembled the cake and JT did the dirty work, I was nervous about how the cake would come out. My few epic failures have come from baking, not cooking. I would have been devastated if I couldn't handle this cake. The process wasn't difficult, but I was still afraid to waste all the deliciousness in front of me. We put the cake in the oven and waited for the results...



I'm very messy when it comes to using flour.

After the cake was done baking, everything looked cook. The almond smell that consumed my apartment was heavenly. The cakes themselves did not get stuck inside the pans. All was going well.


Once we finsihed icing this bad boy we were ready to dig in. It was torture waiting for the cake to cool so we could frost it and dig in. I've frosted a cake before when it was still warm. Did not work out well at all. The final product looked gorgeous and luckily enough, it tasted just as good as it looked. The cake was a little dry, but that was our fault since we ate dinner and watched a bunch of The Big Bang Theory in the middle of preparing the cake. We should have just eaten first. I'll definitely be making this cake again in the future. JT wanted to do this every other week...but we'd sweel up real quickly is we ate that much cake.


1 comment:

  1. That cake does look pretty good. When I was in scouts we use to always have a cake sale. My favorite cake...Kitty Litter Cake. If you've never heard of it, look it up. mmmmmm. haha

    ReplyDelete