Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Possible New Path...

I went through many different career path changes in the past few years. I had many different ideas about what I could do with the rest of my life, but most of the time I realized that I'd get sick of it after a while. The one goal I settled on is not doing well in the job market. I'd love to be a children's librarian, but my cousin Megan does this already and told me it's not worth my time and money. I've heard a lot of bad things about the job market of public libraries. I don't want to spend half of my life unemployed and struggling to find a job I will like.

I've been thinking a lot lately. My ultimate goal is to become a novelist, but I know I cannot rely on this alone. I love books. I love reading. I love all forms of fiction. Unfortunately, there just aren't too many jobs out there that rely solely on these. A new idea has recently come to me, but I'm still not 100% sure if I am willing to do this. If I want literature to always be a huge part of my life, I can get my doctorate in some form of literature and spend my life being a professor, teaching the literature I enjoy most, and writing lots of papers about it.

I didn't take college as seriously as I should have. If I put my heart and soul into it, I could have gotten As in all my literature classes. Either way, I got my degree in something I truly enjoy. Getting a doctorate will be a LOT of work on my part. I will have to dedicate myself to this and be okay with being overworked and overly-tired in the future. If I do go through with it though, I'll never have to push my love for literature aside for work and will always be doing something related to one of the most important parts of my life.

Not gonna lie, it would be cool to be (I think) the first in my family to have a doctorate. Dr. Aug has an interesting ring to it. Feel free to post your thoughts and opinions. Hopefully soon I'll decide if this is what I truly want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment