Thursday, October 14, 2010

A random visit to see Wanda Coleman...



On Thursday, I had to go to campus to see a friend to sign a letter a group from one of my classes is giving to our professor because she's vague and it seems to have effected our grade. I met my friend that day because he was going to see Wanda Coleman, a famous writer, who was speaking at our campus. He said I should come watch as well, so I did.
I've never read (at least not that I can remember) any of her work. I need to broaden my reading horizons anyways. I sat patiently and waited for one of the English professors to finish her long introduction and Coleman finally took the stage.
I was happy with the half hour/45 minutes I spent listening to a poet speak her words. She was a good performer as well, not reading her poem in a monotone voice. She made a character out of all of her poems. She talked from her own experiences and from others. I was glad Eric made me go with him, and I couldn't help but wonder why I never went to anything else like this. I'm sure in the 4 years I went to Buffalo State, there were other writers in Buffalo.
After she read some of her work, she had a question and answer session with her audience. One girl asked what she did when she was not in a writing state of mind to bring back her inspiration. Her answer was "art feeds art". She then talked about how she likes to cook and that can inspire her. This made me smile. I like knowing I have something in common with a successful author who has made writing a part of her life.
I felt it was good for me to see someone who has done what I would like to achieve at some point in my life. I wish I could have talked to her, maybe had her sign a book, but I would have felt foolish seeing as I never read any of her work. They were selling some of her work, but I didn't have any cash on me. I don't think they take credit at book signings. I'll have to be aware of what's going on in Buffalo from now on. Seeing other successes might help lead me to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment