Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Weekend off...

Working in retail, I never seem to get weekends off. Department stores flourish on weekends when people who work weekday 9-5 jobs are off. So of course, I'm sucked into the working world while everyone else enjoys their weekends off by shopping away the money they made the week before. I'm there to help them pay for their things, and to suck them into a world where they'll face more problems and debt; they'll spend their non-existent money. It's a sad cycle for the ones who cannot control themselves. I write this for you, the customer:

An Ode to Customers

I greet you in a simple great way
You smile, someone genuine in your day
A trust has been gained
A pile of necessities have you maimed.
I offer to give you a few dollars in return
In exchange for a regret that you will soon learn
I learn about you in a short amount of time
Three minutes drifts away, ignoring the line
A hint of glee shines within your eyes
As 15% is taken in exchange for a few lies
Your future security lays greatly exposed
An extra dollar in my pocket I've expertly composed
You leave now, happy, showered in fresh darkness
I stand more numb in my corporate sin's mess.

I get to forget about this until Monday. The fresh smell of apples will help me relax on my day away from the realization that I strive everyday to help most of my customers get worse credit. Soon, once I get a big oral presentation out of the way, I'll be getting a job where I can hopefully in some way be sharing the importance of reading. That will help me feel just a little better than I do now at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment